Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Quest for Mid-week London Nightlife

Just realized that I used the word "much" 8.5 million times in the last post. I shall try to avoid doing so in my update.

Our search for midweek London nightlife turned into an invite from our German roommates to join them and a couple of guys they met earlier in the day for hookah, which is called shimshaw here and apparently everywhere else in the world. who knew?

Anyhoo, after making the poor boys wait for 45 minutes whilst we got ready for our night out we finally met up with them at Oxford Circle. Nadia, I think there are like 5 million TopShops in London alone. After we were introduced to Saif and Amit (?), who, I was sad to learn, were not the nice British boys I had been expecting, we headed off to the Hookah/Shimshaw bar that Saif knew. I think we walked the whole of London before we finally made him stop at one we saw on the way. His other two friends Anis and some fellow, whose name none of us caught, joined us a little later and we had fun trying to understand each other since Tina and Juliane speak German, the guys speak Arabic and we speak English. I could sort of speak with Anis because I knew some French, but luckily the guys knew a little English.

It was highly amusing watching us get "paired up" even though all of us girls weren't interested in them romantically. It was good fun, though, hanging out and learning about new people. Iwas particularly impressed with Saif and his no-name friend who left their home countries (Tunisia and Morocco) on a whim to carve a life for themselves in some foreign place. Saif"s philosophy is "if I think I might like a place, I go".

After we left the boys at Edgewater station, we headed back to the hostel for a few drinks in the bar on sight. I had a cider and we basically did a little people watching. And now here I am updating my travels for you so that you may feel involved. I shall try to post some pictures up here soon, or at least upload them to photobucket or something and give you a link.

Either way, I'm signing off for the night/morning since we need to catch an early train to Wales.

Ta ta for now!

3 comments:

  1. hahaha thank you for clarifying on the other blog. i was lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying your posts Bonnie Bear. Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete