Sunday, March 14, 2010

Night out on the town

So, just after I signed off that last post I headed back up to the room to see what the evening plan was. Up to that point our only roommates were two Irishmen in town for the rugby match. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the door and there are two Scottish girls chatting away with my sister. I saw the high heels lined up and the outfits spread across every available surface and knew it was gonna be a fun night. Karen and Vikki are two awesome and hilarious girls. Karen is not very girly, but she totally reminded me of Starbuck (aka Kellie's girlcrush Katee Sackhoff) in that she's very naturally pretty and just acts like a tomboy. She also was a lot like my cousin Julie, which was weird, but fun. Anyhoo, they decided to show us what Edinburgh nightlife has to offer and take us out. By mutual decision the two of them headed out to get us some supplies for pre-gaming and somehow they ended up bringing back some guy named Russell.

Russell was...ridiculous. He was already so smashed when he walked in. We all kind of just tolerated his presence because he was at least a good natured drunk. Now we had heard several types of Scottish accents at this point, but when he first started talking all I could say back was "what?". Out of Russell's mouth came Sean Connery's voice (but a younger, less deep version). It was highly amusing. In fact, Emily started mimicking his accent which sent him into fits of giggles. We also bullied him into saying "Junior" and he didn't realize until after that it was because of Indian Jones. Of course, once he realized, he refused to say "We named the dog Indiana" or "I suddenly remembered my Charlemagne". *sigh* oh well.

To stress how ridiculous he was, he kept calling himself "Russell the love muscle". He did get a little annoying after a while, but he knew that we were going out for a girls night and accepted when it was time for him to leave. It was good times, though, the two hours while we were drinking and getting all tarted up for the evening. Just so you know, Wifey, I wore my top that has the magenta silk at the top with black sort of cotton (?) around my abdomen. I wore it for Valentine's last year. I also had on my new tight dark jeans and the shoes I wore on our night out in SD for your birthday--->Take note of my shoes! Generally, I looked cute.

So we finally leave the hostel sometime after midnight and catch a cab to this club that Vikki is on the list for. We paid for entry and checked our coats then started boozing it up. They have this thing they have called a "kitty" where you pool some money in a bag and then whenever you want to get a drink you grab it and go. We all put 10 pounds in and Vikki and I made the first round and came back to join the other two by the entry area. Its really weird going to clubs out here because all we hear is American music. I really forgot I was in Edinburgh for a while cause they were playing all my jams. We made our way to a super tiny, but extremely packed dance floor and got our groove on. Eventually we needed another drink and Emily and I waited while Vikki hit the bar again. (Sorry, this is not good story telling, but literally this is what happened, not very exciting)

While we were standing there we discussed the abundance of tall and attractive men in the building. I also mentioned, though, that they all seemed to just hang with each other. I'm pretty sure at least 60% of them were gay (especially judging by the makeout sessions I witnessed later on). Anyway, we hit the dance floor again after we finished the drinks Vikki brought us and ditched after it got a little too claustrophobic. Vikki and Karen went out to grab more drinks and we just danced while we waited. It was that sort of trying-to-stay-out-of-the-way-of-foot-traffic-but-still-have-a-good-time dancing. It sorta a worked out cause...

Then this guy named Billy started talking to me and we ended up chatting and such for a good while. Next thing I knew it was about 3am and the club was closing so Em and I went searching for the other two girls. When we found them Karen informed us that they were going to head over to a friend's house and would meet us back at the room in the morning for breakfast. Having agreed to this plan we went in search of a taxi.

Fail.

There were no empty taxis to be found! We ended up walking all the way back. Just to give you a little geography of the city, our hostel is on Grassmarket just below Edinburgh Castle, the club is on Frederick St. in the posh area of town North of the castle. It basically goes Frederick St., Georges St., GIANT HILL, Australia, Timbuktu, Royal Mile, and then the Grassmarket. Yeah, it blew. We finally found a cab after walking for a good half hour only to be told by the driver that we were a two minutes walk from the hostel. Arrrrgh!!! It was so glorious to see the hostel finally.

Emily detoured to the showers on the way up, but I went straight to the room. Imagine my surprise when I see the other girls in the room! And they had no clue what I was talking about when I asked why they weren't at their friend's house. Ah well. The Irish boys came back as well and I didn't go to bed until after 5am. I am thus, sooooo tired.

Well, that was our exciting night out on the town in Edinburgh. Kellie, as per our last conversation: Billy represented Scotland pretty damn well. Although he lives in London, so I really think it should be a two-fer.

Today we got up and had breakfast with the girls and then parted ways. Em and I hit up Edinburgh Castle and tried our best to get our 12 pounds worth (not sure if we succeeded). Crown jewels were pretty, I want the necklace, and I took a lot of pictures of castle. The War Memorial is amazingly moving. It is so simply beautiful yet gives off this very stoic and strong feeling. I guess it epitomizes bravery. Well done, Scotland.

We then went back to Deacon Brodie's for a last haggis before we depart. Now, we're off to Glasgow. I shall fill you in on that adventure later.

Bye bye bye! (<---Karen totally did this on the phone last night btw and it made me laugh)

2 comments:

  1. I laughed and I laughed and I clapped and I laughed and I laughed. Thank you for this Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete